Interested in Agric?
Michael A. Acheampong
+233 302 665125
Evans Elvis Acquaah
233 302 665125
- Provision of agricultural inputs such as improved seeds and agrochemicals including fertilizers, pesticides and herbicides. Veterinary drugs, vaccines and chemicals; animal feed and feed ingredients are also required.
- Opportunities exist in the processing of agricultural products such as cereals (maize, rice, millet) starchy crops (yam, cassava. Sweet potato, plantain), vegetables (carrots, cabbage, garden eggs, tomato), fruits (pineapple, pawpaw, banana, mango), industrial crops (rubber, sugarcane, cotton, oil palm, coconut, cocoa, coffee), livestock (cattle, pigs, poultry, sheep) and fisheries (tuna, tilapia, catfish). Rearing of silk worm for the production of raw silk.
- Additionally there is a need for the processing of dairy products as well as the supply of machinery to establish hatcheries for day-old chicks.
- Floriculture offers a lot of opportunities as Ghana’s climate and topography make the country suitable for the cultivation of a number of exotic flowers. Species such as heliconia, caribea, celosia, curcuma, gladioli, hibiscus, roses, ornamental palms and ferns perform well under natural conditions. There is potential in the national, regional and European Union markets
- Investment opportunities exist in the agro-processing industry to add value, reduce post-harvest losses, promote price stability and expand demand for local agricultural produce. For example, with the processing of cocoa beans into cocoa products and fruits into fruit juices among others.
- Developing irrigable land through irrigation is another key area. While Ghana has a potential irrigable area of 346,000 hectares, only 10,000 hectares have been developed.
- Technological and support services also require investment. Key areas are in the supply and installation of cold chain equipment, packaging and factory building technology
- In the distribution field, companies are required to provide post-production services in transport, packaging and cold vans.
- There are further opportunities in standards, training and certification; capacity building for management and market-oriented enterprises; market intelligence research and in the development of agricultural finance and insurance.
- Investment opportunities exist in the production of agricultural inputs such as fertilizers, pesticides and fungicides.
- Technology and services in the agricultural sector which include irrigation, heavy equipment hiring (i.e. hiring of tractors, ploughs, harrows and combine harvesters etc) provide investment opportunities.
- Investment opportunity also exists in the storage industry. Inadequate and inappropriate storage facilities are constraints to agricultural production thereby contributing to high post-harvest losses and low returns for farmers and processors.