surprise, this is the first time that two companies belonging to the automobile industry occupied the first two positions ahead of top five companies such as stanbic Bank and Scancom Limited. Other key highlights of the 2009 GC 100 rankings that are worth observing are as follows:
- Toyota Ghana Company Limited for the first time led the overall rankings showing strong performances on all three ranking criteria.
- Stanbic Bank and UT Financial Services formerly Unique Trust Financial Services continues to show consistent performance by remaining within the top five ranked companies.
- Scancom Limited dropped from the second position in 2008 to eight in 2009.
- Three companies among the top three performers on turnover (Scancom, Total Petroleum Ghana Ltd and Goldfields Ghana Ltd) could not secure a position within the top five rankings.
- The overall rankings show two banks among the top five, and two banks among the top ten
- The three fastest growing firms were all in the banking industry – Amalgamated Bank, Unibank and Fidelity Bank.
- The ten leading companies featured two new entrants – Auto Plaza Ltd and Danadams Pharmaceuticals Industry Ltd.
Other new entrants into the GC100 include Logs and Lumber Ltd, Paradua Forex Bureau Ltd and Polykraft Ltd and Poly Products Ltd.
Other interesting highlights of the 2009 GC 100 rankings include:
1. THREE fastest growing 2009 GC 100 firms
2. THREE most profitable 2009 GC 100 firms
3. THREE largest 2009 GC 100 firms
4. Companies that topped the rankings in their respective sectors